Professor (primary appt: Mathematics)
- Office Location: 207 Physics
- Office Phone: (919) 660-2845
- Email Address:
- Web Page:
|PhD||University of California, Berkeley||1979|
Professor Harer's primary research is in the use of geometric, combinatorial and computational techniques to study a variety of problems in data analysis, shape recognition, image segmentation, plant root architecture, biological networks and gene expression.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Henry Russell Award, University of Michigan
- Faculty Recognition Award, University of Michigan
- Fellowship, Sloane Foundation
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, NSF
- MATH 412.01 - TOPOLOGY WITH APPLICATIONS
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Katherine Turner, Yuriy Mileyko, Sayan Mukherjee and John Hare, Fréchet Means for Distributions of Persistence diagrams, arXiv:1206.2790 [math.ST] (Preprint, 2012) [abs].
- T. Galkovskyi, Y. Mileyko, A. Bucksch, B. Moore, O. Symonova, C. Price, C. Topp, A. Iyer-Pascuzzi, P. Zurek, S. Fang, J. Harer, P. Benfey and J. Weitz, GiA Roots: software for the high throughput analysis of plant root system architecture, BMC Plant Biology, vol 12 no. 116 (2012) [abs].
- Christopher N Topp, Anjali S Iyer-Pascuzzi, Jill T Anderson, Cheng-Ruei Lee, Paul R Zurek, Olga Symonova, Ying Zheng, Alexander Bucksch, Yuriy Milyeko, Taras Galkovskyi, Brad Moore, John Harer, Herbert Edelsbrunner, Thomas Mitchell Olds, Joshua S Weitz, Philip N Benfey, 3-dimensional phenotyping of growing root systems combined with QTL mapping identifies core regions of the rice genome controlling root architecture, Nature Biotechnology (Submitted, 2012).
- Anastasia Deckard, Ron C. Anafi, John B. Hogenesch, Steven B. Haase, John Harer, Design and Analysis of Large-Scale Biological Rhythm Studies: A Comparison of Algorithms for Detecting Periodic Signals in Biological Data, PLOS Computational Biology (Submitted, 2012) [abs].
- Anastasia Deckard, Jurgen Sladeczek, David A. Orlando, Steven B. Haase and John Harer, Biochronicity Website: Sharing the results of running periodicity detection algorithms on biological data (Submitted, 2012) [abs].