Associate Professor of the Practice of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Dr. Gustafson received a B.S.E. in 1993 from Duke University, majoring in Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science. He continued on at Duke to earn his M.S. (1998) and Ph.D. (1999) in Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science. He received his appointment as Assistant Professor of the Practice of Electrical & Computer Engineering in 2005 and was promoted to Associate Professor of the Practice in 2009. Previously, he has served as Adjunct Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science and as Lecturing Fellow and Assistant Chair of the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department, both at Duke.
Professor Gustafson's primary focus is on undergraduate curriculum and laboratory development. He is responsible for the first-year Computational Methods in Engineering (EGR 53L) course required for all Pratt students, but has also taught fifteen other courses totaling nearly 50 course offerings and over 2500 students. He previously served as a Lieutenant Commander in the United States Navy as a Naval Reservist, and is authorized to wear the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal (two awards), the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal (two awards), the National Defense Service Medal (two awards), and the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of the Practice of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: 110 Science Drive, Teer Building Box 90271, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5354
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Page:
Electronic Circuit Assembly and Testing
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal (2 awards)
- Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal (2 awards)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Tau Beta Pi
- William Griffith University Service Award, Duke University, 1999
- Capers and Marion McDonald Award for Excellence in Mentoring and Advising, Duke University, Pratt School of Engineering, April, 2005
- COMPSCI 309S: Problem Solving Seminar
- ECE 110L9: Fundamentals of Electrical and Computer Engineering - Lab
- ECE 110L: Fundamentals of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 280L9: Signals and Systems - Lab
- ECE 280L: Introduction to Signals and Systems
- ECE 382: Linear Control Systems
- EGR 103L9: Computational Methods in Engineering (Lab)
- EGR 103L: Computational Methods in Engineering
- EGR 190: Special Topics in Engineering
- EGR 224L: Electrical Fundamentals of Mechatronics
- ME 344L: Control of Dynamic Systems
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- L. G. Huettel and A. S. Brown and K. D. Coonley and M. R. Gustafson and J. Kim and G. A. Ybarra and L. M. Collins, Fundamentals of ECE: A rigorous, integrated introduction to Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ieee Transactions On Education, vol 50 no. 3 (2007), pp. 174 -- 181 [abs].
- Collins, Leslie M. and Huettel, Lisa G. and Brown, April S. and Ybarra, Gary A. and Holmes, Joseph S. and Board, John A. and Cummer, Steven A. and Gustafson, Michael R. and Kim, Jungsang and Massoud, Hisham Z., Theme-based redesign of the duke university ECE curriculum: The first steps, ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Conference Proceedings (2005), pp. 14313 - 14326 [abs].
- Huettel, Lisa and Brown, April and Gustafson, Michael and Massoud, Hisham and Ybarra, Gary and Collins, Leslie, Work in progress: Theme-based redesign of an electrical and computer engineering curriculum, Proceedings - Frontiers in Education Conference, FIE, vol 3 (2004), pp. 2-1-2-2 - [abs].
- Gustafson, M.R. and Ybarra, G.A. and Chancey, V.C. and Merdes, C.L., Multimedia teaching modules in the engineering K-Ph.D. program at Duke University, Proceedings - Frontiers in Education Conference, vol 2 (2001), pp. 415-420 - [FIE.2001.963655] [abs].
- Gustafson, Michael R. II and Howle, Laurens E., Effects of anisotropy and boundary plates on the critical values of a porous medium heated from below, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol 42 no. 18 (1999), pp. 3419 - 3430 [S0017-9310(99)00028-9] [abs].