Richard B. Fair
Dr. Fair is a Fellow of the IEEE and a Fellow of the Electrochemical Society. He has served as Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices (1990-1993) and is past Editor-In-Chief of the Proceedings of the IEEE (1993-2000). He received the IEEE Third Millennium Medal in 2000, and the 2003 Solid State Science and Technology Award from the Electrochemical Society. He has published 150 papers in technical journals, contributed chapters to 10 books, edited eight more books, and given over 115 invited talks. He and his wife Clare especially enjoy Duke basketball and five beautiful grandchildren.
- Office Location: 3519 CIEMAS
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5277
- Email Address:
- Web Page:
|MS||Pennsylvania State University||1966|
Microfluidic systems for lab-on-a-chip applications based on electrowetting technology. We are primarily focused on applications, such as a chip to detect malaria, a chip to do DNA sequencing by synthesis, a chip for printing artificial tissue constructs and live cells. We also are investigating the scaling of chip dimensions from the microliter and nanoliter volumes down to picoliter volumes. Additional research is underway in semiconductor devices, processes, and modeling.
Sensing and Sensor Systems
Integrated Nanoscale Systems
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Fellow, Electrochemical Society
- Fellow, IEEE
- James F. Gibbons Achievement Award, Advanced Thermal Processing, 1996
- Outstanding Young Electrical Engineers of the Year Award, National Award from Eta Kappa Nu, 1979
- Solid State Science and Technology Award, Electrochemical Society, 2003
- Third Millennium Medal, IEEE, 2000
- Top Five Coolest Talks Award, Materials Research Society, 2007
- ECE 331L.01 - INTRO TO INTEGRATED CKTS
- ECE 331L.01L - INTRO TO INTEGRATED CKTS
- ECE 331L.02L - INTRO TO INTEGRATED CKTS
- ECE 331L.03L - INTRO TO INTEGRATED CKTS
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- R. B. Fair and M. A. Shannon and O. K. Tan and O. Geschke and C. H. Ahn and O. Kaynak and M. J. Vellekoop, Introduction for the special issue on sensors for microfluidic analysis systems, Ieee Sensors Journal, vol 8 no. 5-6 (2008), pp. 427 -- 429.
- L. Luan and R. D. Evans and N. M. Jokerst and R. B. Fair, Integrated optical sensor in a digital microfluidic platform, Ieee Sensors Journal, vol 8 no. 5-6 (2008), pp. 628 -- 635 [abs].
- R. B. Fair, Digital microfluidics: is a true lab-on-a-chip possible?, Microfluidics And Nanofluidics, vol 3 no. 3 (2007), pp. 245 -- 281 [abs].
- R.B. Fair, Digital Microfluidics: is a true lab-on-a-chip possible?, J. Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, vol 3 no. 3 (2007), pp. 245-281 [abs].
- R.B. Fair, A. Khylstov, T.D. Tailor, V. Ivanov, R.D. Evans, V.Srinivasan, V.K. Pamula, M.G. Pollack, P.B. Griffin, J. Zhou, Chemical and Biological Applications of Digital Microfluidic Devices, IEEE Design and Test of Computers, vol 25 (2007), pp. 211-223 [abs].