Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Tom Katsouleas is a specialist in the use of plasmas as novel particle accelerators and light sources. His work has been featured on the covers of Physical Review Letters, Scientific American, the CERN Courier and Nature. He has authored or co-authored over 200 publications and given more than 50 major invited talks.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor of Physics
- Dean of the Pratt School of Engineering
- Office Location: Room 305 Teer, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5389
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of California at Los Angeles, 1984
- B.S. University of California at Los Angeles, 1979
Katsouleas is a specialist in the use of plasmas as novel particle accelerators and light sources.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2005
- HKN Electrical Engineering Society Outstanding Faculty Member, University of Southern California, 1999
- Mortar Board Faculty of the Month, University of Southern California, 1995
- Outstanding Teaching Award, University of California, Los Angelea Physics Department, 1991
- Outstanding Teaching Award, University of California, Los Angelea Physics Department, 1990
- IBM Project Advance Recognition Award (for development of teaching software), IBM
- Fellow, American Physical Society
- ECE 110L9: Fundamentals of Electrical and Computer Engineering - Lab
- ECE 110L: Fundamentals of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- PHYSICS 151L9D: Introductory Mechanics (Discussion Component)
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Sahai, AA; Tsung, FS; Tableman, AR; Mori, WB; Katsouleas, TC, Relativistically induced transparency acceleration of light ions by an ultrashort laser pulse interacting with a heavy-ion-plasma density gradient, Physical Review E: Statistical, Nonlinear, and Soft Matter Physics, vol 88 no. 4 (2013) [abs].
- Sahai, AA; Katsouleas, TC; Gessner, S; Hogan, M; Joshi, C; Mori, WB, Excitation Of Wakefields In A Relativistically Hot Plasma Created By Dying Non-linear Plasma Wakefields, AIP Conference Proceedings, vol 1507 (2012), pp. 618-622 [10.1063/1.4773768] [abs].
- Sahai, AA; Katsouleas, TC; Bingham, R; Tsung, FS; Tableman, A; Tzoufras, M; Mori, WB, Proton acceleration by a relativistic laser frequency-chirp driven plasma snowplow, IPAC 2012 - International Particle Accelerator Conference 2012 (2012), pp. 2654-2656 [abs].
- Huntington, CM; Thomas, AG; McGuffey, C; Matsuoka, T; Chvykov, V; Kalintchenko, G; Kneip, S; Najmudin, Z; Palmer, C; Yanovsky, V; Maksimchuk, A; Drake, RP; Katsouleas, T; Krushelnick, K, Current filamentation instability in laser wakefield accelerators., Physical Review Letters, vol 106 no. 10 (2011) [abs].
- Yakimenko, V; Katsouleas, T, Proton-based driver for the plasma wakefield accelerator with TeV reach, Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion, vol 53 no. 8 (2011) [10.1088/0741-3335/53/8/085010] [abs].