William T. Joines
William T. Joines earned the BS degree from North Carolina State University, MS, and PhD degrees from Duke University (all in electrical engineering) in 1959, 1961, and 1964, respectively. After high school and before college he served for four year in the United States Air Force (1951-1955) as an airborne radar technician. From 1959 to 1966 he was a Member of the Technical Staff of Bell Telephone Laboratories. He joined the Electrical Engineering Department of Duke University as an Assistant Professor in 1966. He was appointed as an Associate Professor in 1968 and a Full Professor in 1979. His current research interests include electromagnetic field and wave interactions with materials and structures. He is a member of the Tau Beta Pi, Eta Kappa Nu, Phi Kappa Phi, and Sigma Xi, honor societies. He is a Life Senior Member of IEEE, and he has earned Scientific and Technical Achievement Awards from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in 1982, 1985, and 1990.
- Office Location: 307 Engineering Building
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5281
- Email Address:
|BS||NC State University||1959|
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Eta Kappa Nu
- Life Fellow, IEEE, Microwave Theory and Techniques Society; Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society; Power Electronics Society, and Antennas and Propogations Society
- Order of Saint Patrick Scientific and Technical Achievement Award, U.S. EPA, 1982, 1983, and 1990
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Sigma Xi
- Tau Beta Pi
- ECE 572.01 - ELECTROMAGNETIC COMM SYS
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- C. Yu and M. Q. Yuan and J. Stang and E. Bresslour and R. T. George and G. A. Ybarra and W. T. Joines and Q. H. Liu, Active microwave imaging II: 3-D system prototype and image reconstruction from experimental data, Ieee Transactions On Microwave Theory And Techniques, vol 56 no. 4 (2008), pp. 991 -- 1000 [abs].
- K. H. Lim and G. Shi and K. Mccarter and R. George and G. Ybarra and W. T. Joines and S. Wartenberg and C. H. Liu, 2d eit for biomedical imaging: Design, measurement, simulation, and image reconstruction, Microwave And Optical Technology Letters, vol 49 no. 12 (2007), pp. 2989 -- 2998 [abs].
- Y. Chen and W. T. Joines and Z. T. Xie and G. N. Shi and Q. H. Liu and L. Carin, Double-sided exponentially tapered GPR antenna and its transmission line feed structure, Ieee Transactions On Antennas And Propagation, vol 54 no. 9 (2006), pp. 2615 -- 2623 [abs].
- Keller, S.D. and Palmer, W.D. and Joines, W.T., Direct antenna modulation: analysis, design, and experiment, 2006 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (IEEE Cat. No. 06CH37758C) (2006), pp. 909 - 12 [abs].
- Ye, Gang and Lim, Kim H. and George, Rhett and Ybarra, Gary and Joines, William T. and Liu, Qing H., A 3D EIT system for breast cancer imaging, 2006 3rd IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: From Nano to Macro - Proceedings, vol 2006 (2006), pp. 1092 - 1095 [abs].