Yaroslav A. Urzhumov
Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Appointments and Affiliations
- Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: West Campus, Fciemas 2581, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-8259
- Web Page:
Dr. Urzhumov's research covers general physics of elecromagnetism and wave phenomena, including optics, plasmonics, acoustics, and other types of waves. Specific interests include numerical methods for differential equations, and computational software; homogenization theory with application to electromagnetic, optical, acoustic and hydrodynamical metamaterials; exotic properties of electromagnetic metamaterials, including negative index of refraction and superluminal velocity, with applications to sub-wavelength imaging, optical invisibility and wireless transfer of electrical power.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Senior Member of SPIE, SPIE
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Lipworth, G; Ensworth, J; Seetharam, K; Da Huang, ; Lee, JS; Schmalenberg, P; Nomura, T; Reynolds, MS; Smith, DR; Urzhumov, Y, Magnetic metamaterial superlens for increased range wireless power transfer., Scientific Reports, vol 4 (2014) [10.1038/srep03642] [abs].
- Ciraci, C; Urzhumov, Y; Smith, DR, Far-field analysis of axially symmetric three-dimensional directional cloaks, Optics Express, vol 21 no. 8 (2013), pp. 9397-9406 [10.1364/OE.21.009397] [abs].
- Urzhumov, Y; Ciracì, C; Smith, DR, Nanophotonics: Optical time reversal with graphene, Nature Physics, vol 9 no. 7 (2013), pp. 393-394 [10.1038/nphys2644] [abs].
- Ciracì, C; Urzhumov, Y; Smith, DR, Effects of classical nonlocality on the optical response of three-dimensional plasmonic nanodimers, Optical Society of America Journal B: Optical Physics, vol 30 no. 10 (2013), pp. 2731-2736 [abs].
- Urzhumov, Y; Landy, N; Driscoll, T; Basov, D; Smith, DR, Thin low-loss dielectric coatings for free-space cloaking, Optics Letters, vol 38 no. 10 (2013), pp. 1606-1608 [10.1364/OL.38.001606] [abs].
- Since 2011: Materials Research Society (MRS)
- Since 2007: Optical Society of America (OSA)
- Since 2006: SPIE (former International Society for Optical Engineering)
- Since 2003: American Physical Society (APS)