Yaroslav A. Urzhumov
Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Appointments and Affiliations
- Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: West Campus, Fciemas 2581, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-8259
- Web Page:
Dr. Urzhumov's research covers general physics of elecromagnetism and wave phenomena, including optics, plasmonics, acoustics, and other types of waves. Specific interests include numerical methods for differential equations, and computational software; homogenization theory with application to electromagnetic, optical, acoustic and hydrodynamical metamaterials; exotic properties of electromagnetic metamaterials, including negative index of refraction and superluminal velocity, with applications to sub-wavelength imaging, optical invisibility and wireless transfer of electrical power.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Senior Member of SPIE, SPIE
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Urzhumov, Yaroslav and Smith, David R., Metamaterial-enhanced coupling between magnetic dipoles for efficient wireless power transfer, PHYSICAL REVIEW B, vol 83 no. 20 (2011), pp. 205114 [doi] [abs].
- Poutrina, E. and Huang, D. and Urzhumov, Y. and Smith, D. R., Nonlinear oscillator metamaterial model: numerical and experimental verification, OPTICS EXPRESS, vol 19 no. 9 (2011), pp. 8312--8319 [doi] [abs].
- Urzhumov, Yaroslav A. and Kundtz, Nathan B. and Smith, David R. and Pendry, John B., Cross-section comparisons of cloaks designed by transformation optical and optical conformal mapping approaches, JOURNAL OF OPTICS, vol 13 no. 2 (2011), pp. 024002 [doi] [abs].
- Urzhumov, Yaroslav A. and Smith, David R., Transformation Optics with Photonic Band Gap Media, PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS, vol 105 no. 16 (2010), pp. 163901 [doi] [abs] (Selected for the cover of October 15 issue of Phys. Rev. Lett..) .
- Hill, Ryan T. and Mock, Jack J. and Urzhumov, Yaroslav and Sebba, David S. and Oldenburg, Steven J. and Chen, Shiuan-Yeh and Lazarides, Anne A. and Chilkoti, Ashutosh and Smith, David R., Leveraging Nanoscale Plasmonic Modes to Achieve Reproducible Enhancement of Light, NANO LETTERS, vol 10 no. 10 (2010), pp. 4150--4154 [doi] [abs].
- Since 2011: Materials Research Society (MRS)
- Since 2007: Optical Society of America (OSA)
- Since 2006: SPIE (former International Society for Optical Engineering)
- Since 2003: American Physical Society (APS)